BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

11/20/12

Official-ness, Brown Bears, and Such

A couple of weeks ago I received my advance copies of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that features my short story THE BEAR. Well, now it's officially on the racks for purchase--the holiday issue, so feel free to use a copy as a stocking stuffer. Me? I'm kind of getting a kick out of being in the same issue as Lee Goldberg, I mean, that dude is such a crazy talent and one of the funniest panelist I've ever had the privilege to see. As for THE BEAR, the story came about during one of those burnout spells last year on my novel in progress. Just couldn't look at the MS anymore and I needed a break, you know? The whole 8,000 word mess spilled out of me in, like, a week. Not bragging, it usually takes me a lot longer than that, but sometimes a groove just happens. The story is inspired by true events. A few years ago a friend told me all about his encounter with a brown bear up in Alaska on a fly-fishing trip and the idea just sort of just jumped off from there. A complete departure from anything I've attempted before. A cautionary tale of broken man and his hobbled attempt at redemption. I'm pretty sure the story is going to piss more than a few EQ readers off, but I've never liked easy, sewn-up endings. Funny, one of the best pieces of writing advice I ever received was from EQ's editor, Janet Hutchings. This was way back at B'con in Indianapolis at the Shamus Awards. I introduced myself (having published an earlier story w/ EQ called THE LIFEGUARD METHOD) and Janet giggled as she shook my hand. Then she proceeded to tell me my story prompted the angriest letter she'd ever received in all of her years at the magazine. Dumbstruck and embarrassed, I apologized, but Janet looped her arm in mine and added, "Oh no, sweetie. Don't apologize. If you're not ticking people off, you're not doing it right." I hear those words in my head every, single day. Onward.