BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

9/21/12

My Friday Reads:

I love finding out what people are reading via Twitter's #fridayreads hashtag. It takes a substantial pulse of the populace, both the good and the completely appalling. This is no great surprise. I believe there's a reward if your book choice "tweet" gets the nod from the person(s) who started the whole social media affair, in fact I'll confess right here and now that I actually "won" once, but I passed on that particular day's prize. I believe it was because the title of the book being rewarded to me seemed a bit too tea-soaked and cheery for my liking. Either that or I felt suspicious (and rightly so these days) about forfeiting my contact information to a complete stranger. In any event, these three puppies are what I'm reading today. A lot of people I know look at me askance and scratch their scalps when I tell them I'm reading several books at once...as if this was some kind intellectual hire wire act or perhaps I'm simply lying to their faces. I think the trick to this literary juggle is to pick radically different genres to keep you engrossed. Like when you hit shuffle on your iPod (if you have one) and Gomez gets cued, followed by Leonard Cohen and then My Bloody Valentine...or when you cruise the spectacular buffet at the over-priced resort. Go ahead, dude, the sky is falling. Have a Belgian waffle with your shrimp cocktail and chase the whole mess with a Bloody Mary positively obscene with celery stalks. Who am I to judge, or you for that matter? They say variety keeps you young, don't they? Sheesh, I sure hope so. Onward.