BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

5/15/11

The Seriousness of Sugar Hill Subs

Last week was an absolute punching frenzy on the writing ego front. A veritable wave of rejections left me sulking and edgy. Blew out of Maryland and headed to Jersey to clear the head, walk the boards, get the house ready for the summer renters and such. Now then, rarely do I plug anything on this blog other than crime writing and related fictional topics, but tonight I must (MUST!) make an exception. Of sorts. First off, have you ever watched HBO's BOARDWALK EMPIRE? Well, the show kind of grew on me last season (in spite of Buscemi-miscasting overload), and I'm kind of glad HBO picked up the gangster drama for another rack of episodes. Anyway, in Episode 11 - "Paris Green" - Prohibition Agents Van Alden and Sebso ride out to search for an illegal still in the tiny piney hamlet of Mays Landing. This weekend I was passing through Mays Landing and had a culinary epiphany. As a former chef, you can well imagine I take my sandwiches quite seriously. I thought I had them all, the best of the best the Garden State had to offer...but as I live and breathe...if you're ever fortunate enough to be passing through south Jersey on your way to the ocean, for Godsakes, hit the brakes. SUGAR HILL SUBS. Best meatball sub of my life! Tender lacrosse ball-sized meatballs of veal, pork, and beef slathered in slow-cooked homemade tomato sauce, melted Provolone cheese on a (wait for it...) an eighteen inch Italian roll! I'll say that again. An eighteen inch REAL Italian roll fresh from a bakery right down the road. God, I'm still slobbering for it. So (ahem) I mean this with all venom-laden sincerity...Subway? You so suuuuuuck.