BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

3/30/11

Bending the Ear: Movies

Audio juxtaposition, grooves set against violence. Sometimes it's just on the edge camp, but in the realm of the telling of the crime tale...man, it can really tattoo the brain. For example, Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" will be forever linked in my mind to Robert DeNiro's calculating gaze in Goodfellas. What else? Kind of pissed me off at first that David Fincher used ol' Tom Wait's "Going Out West" for the adaptation of Fight Club, but now I'm all right with it. Old schooling? How about Sinatra's "The Summer Wind" at the end of one of my top heist films, The Pope of Greenwich Village...and golly, how about (pause to swallow copious amounts of bile) Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" used in the tea pot beating scene in Layer Cake? Do I need to mention Stealers Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle with You" and Quentin Tarantino? Now, Air Supply. Air Supply? Yep, freakin' Air Supply. Quite possibly the weakest, limpest, song ever recorded--but match that against the cold, ruthlessness in this film? Chilling. ANIMAL KINGDOM....wow. In advance, I apologize to all those who were way ahead of me on this one (and to the five Aussie Air Supply fans--sorry, but I'm a Nick Cave AC/DC, Powderfinger, The Cult sort of dork). It's slow going for me to catch up with the latest and greatest flicks out there but again, for the record, wow. Why didn't this get more play in U.S. theaters? Why? Oh, that's right...the vapid populace who jones for more SAW VIII at Big Mama's House. *Sigh* I don't just like this movie, I love it. How much? Well, I watched it three times in the last week and think I just have to buy it. Claws sank in that deep. Onward.