BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

11/10/10

Song for Wed.

A while back, Jed Ayres on HARDBOILED WONDERLAND challenged a bunch of fringe writers submit favorite songs involving crime. This came up again the other day with Jed in Philly on the last day of Noir Con. I went on and on about a few songs I wished I'd used instead of the one I selected. Here's another one I wish I suggested. Does it get any darker? Hardly. Rare airplay but quintessential Stones. Toying with adding that Richards' bio-doorstopper to the reading stack but it might kill me. Not a fan or a "I only like their old stuff..." buffet picker? I really don't care. Greatest rock n' roll showmen in the world. Period. Lyrics and song link below. And as long as we're talking dark stuff, I saw this yesterday and I couldn't agree more, particularly the Smith and Guthrie stuff. Awesome.

HAND OF FATE- The hand of fate is on me now--It pick me up and knock me down--I'm on the run, I'm prison bound--The hand of fate is heavy now--I killed a man, I'm highway bound--The wheel of fortune keeps turning round--Turning round, turning round--I should have known it was a one horse town--My sweet girl was once his wife--He had papers the judge had signed--The wind blew hard, it was stormy night--He shot me once, but I shot him twice--The hand of fate is on me now--It pick me up and it kicked me right down--Kicked me right down--Kicked me right down--I had to save her life--Yeah, I gunned him twice--Yeah, and I watched him die, watch out boy--Yeah, I watched him die--He was a barroom man, the violent kind--He had no love for that gal of mine--Then one day in a drinking bout--He swore he'd throw me right of town--The hand of fate is on me now--I shot that man I put him underground--I put him underground--Yes I did--I'm on the run, I hear the hounds--My luck is up, my chips are down--So goodbye baby, so long now--Wish me luck, I'm going to need it child--The hand of fate is on me now--Yeah it's too late--Too late baby, too late now--The hand of fate is on me now--The hand of fate is heavy now--It pick you up and knock you down....