BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

7/31/10

Craving the End, CRIMEFACTORY 4, Overlap, Etc.

CRIMEFACTORY issue #4 is live today, so for anybody still hanging onto my Charlie Byrne story "The Blues Before and After" it finally, finally comes to an end like a bad karoke song. Never attempted a serial before (like where would somebody like me swing that?) so now I guess I have, for better or worse. Mr.Rawson and Mr. Ashley? It's been an honor. After talking with Keith late this last week (with of all people this freakin' guy) I now know exactly how the CRIMEFACTORY hombres do it. Ready? Here's the top secret formula: lots of black coffee and strong faith in what they're doing. I'm telling you, this issue of CRIMEFACTORY is so massive, so utterly cool...it's the best one yet by far. As for my Charlie installment in CF4, I'm not spoiling anything but the whole thing (after some gun play) putters out like an awkwardly played piano in an empty room. Of course idiot me (duh) I went and started another story last week and I'm hoping to finish the final draft by Sunday. Looming deadline. Not a Charlie piece but there's some six-degree-Venn Diagram overlap going on. Fringe people from Charlie's world. Bad people. A crime fiction fan's kind of people. And one hero--a seventeen y.o. kid who wants nothing more than to buy a car and get out of New Jersey but good. Got stuck at 2K for a while and couldn't push on through until I changed the voice to 3rd person and then I woke up hours later clocking the 6K count. Now it's slash, slash, slash. After that, meh, I need to get serious on some bigger things.