BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

6/12/10

CRIMEFACTORY- Charlie: Part 2

The good, twisted fiends over at CRIMEFACTORY are at it again. Issue 3. Pop on over and download it when you have the chance. God, these guys must hate my guts...I had more than a dozen typos and errors in the second section of this story and my guess is I've more than likely worn out my hack-come-lately welcome. Yeah, yeah...you may think you claim the title of the worst typo-ridden writer out there, but I doubt it. Yesterday I feverishly tried to catch all my mistakes after a roundup email and hung my head in shame. Even got some Twitter static from this guy about the sheer number of my edits--nice...or maybe he was referencing the latest Thuglit anthology. Who knows? Hell, everyone has typos these days. I read three novels recently and each had more than a few, hell, one even had four. In any event, it makes one feel shlubby. Sometimes I wish I never submitted because I hate to drag everyone else down with me. I know, I'm supposed to print out my manuscripts and edit on paper but (ahem) the printer in my house (ahem) is lorded over with ruthless thrift--meaning I don't even have freaking access. I'm serious. I have to sneak in there when she's out of the house and email pages to myself. Pretty sad state of affairs all in all when most in your immediate sphere consider your aspirations an amusing waste of time and energy. I mean, shit, the people behind this screaming vanguard of online crime fiction really work hard, and I'm embarrassed to make them work even harder because of my own mental fuzziness and lame excuses. Ashley, Rawson, the Nerd, everybody who was part of hatching this bloody thing? All I can say is thank you. NoirCon in Philly...pints on me. (I might have to mail Ashley's though. I imagine he'd like a Southwark Stout.) Anyway, in the last issue of CRIMEFACTORY we left my half-assed fixer, Charlie Byrne, in a jam. Believe me...Atlantic City, NJ is not an easy place to out run somebody trying to put a ragged, little hole in you...but Charlie has a gun too and this time, damn it, he plans to shoot back. For a soundtrack, here's The Hold Steady schooling the "old man" using his own dark tune. Seems appropriate.