BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

6/20/10

Avert Your Eyes

Been wandering the beach a lot lately and amidst the sun slapped flesh I've see more than my share of why the publishing industry is in such a sad state of affairs. Picture me the creep...I stare at the books in hand and people hide their covers with embarrassment. Why? I'm thrilled to find someone with an actual book in their hands...crafty, overpaid graphic designers put their weight into to designing that cover, hold it up with pride, people! No? Why--oh. Ohhhhh. My hunch is these people crave guidance, otherwise why would they be reading such crap? Maybe this is why people get turned off to reading. Without guidance they pick up whatever's got the pop culture marketing nod of late, dig in, and are numbed to the pleasure of reading because they're served crap. Promised a juicy rib eye and you get a slab of diseased rump served with surliness. I wince a lot. A lot. In a few days I'm going to post all of what I read on my break with pride. God damn it. Someone has to spread the word.