BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

11/3/09

Fuel to Burn

I believe in the healing power of food. No great spark of revelation there. After all, I did graduate at the top of my class from culinary school. Okay, not the tippity-top but in the top three--you should've seen my final exam--we blew the budget on wine and enough foie gras to make a glutton sweat fat for a year. Would've made the top slot at graduation if chef didn't have it in for me, that French hardass. I think he caught me and some of the other guys in checks and clogs checking out his wife when she wore this---well, let's just days the outfit was breathtaking. Those boots were not just made for walking, if you catch my shimmy.

When writing these days the fuel for me is simple. What I typically power up with is coffee and good French bread. Strong bitter tea is a good substitute for the coffee but only if it's so bitter the back of my throat feels like its been scraped with a golf shoe. Somehow strong coffee and bread combo (the classic French breakfast staple) just powers me through almost any reluctance to hit the keyboard. Not too much coffee that I become snappy and irritable. Anyway, just more blog b.s. from this jerk as I'm waiting for the coffee to brew.