BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

11/21/09

Friends- Aloha Edition

Someday, I'd love to attend a West Coast crime fiction conference that picks Hawaii as the conference locale.

I freakin' love Hawaii, especially Kauai. When life stresses me out I go to my mental "happy place"...which for me will always be sitting in the gin-clear, chest-high lineup in Hanalei Bay, being more than careful to give a wide-berth to the locals, under a sky ribbed with rainbows. I mean, who am I kidding? I freakin' scream haole, but I am respectful. (Note: If you ever do the water thing, make friends with a local and let them take you out for a surf...otherwise, watch your ass, bro, because things can get dicey fast). I also weep openly for burgers from here and I am one of those sick puppies who actually loves musubi--to the dying shame of all the French chefs who taught me everything I know about food.

But the Big Island is cool too because my wife and I have good friends there, and I do miss them so. The bride just got back from a trip there and I am sooo jealous. But hey, I got to go to Indianapolis (whoo-hoo!) and hang with real gents and ladies like Bardsley, Littlefield, Bill, Olson, Chercover, Randisi (so many more) plus these coolest of cats.

Even if it's not for a crime fiction conference, if you just so happen to be travelling to the Big Island stop by our friend Bobby's newest venture-- LIGHTHOUSE LIQUORS. Yes, ladies and gents, not only the finest selection of micro-brews, fine wines, and Scooby-snacks... but this gem of a retail outlet also is (ahem) a headshop. Apparently its the only combination headshop-liquor store in the United States. One stop shopping for all your leisure needs on the Big Island before the twilight whale-watching. Man, I've got to move.