BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

9/18/09

The Fast

Yesterday and today I've been bumping into walls. My computer has been hijacked by the bride and her business. It's a temporary arrangement, a few days, to get her over a shortage of techy firepower. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, and I get my laptop back Sunday. Not worth going into as to why, but I'm feeling a bit disconnected from my WIPs, my word count. Since I've developed this habit of writing every day to see where my mind and my characters will take me, I'm feeling edgy.

I've left a panicked teenage boy named Walt in a self-storage park in Carlsbad, California with a bag of guns, his father in peril. And poor Charlie. Poor Charlie is being chased by a couple of thick-witted Jersey goons in a pickup truck. I'm worried about both of them.

I used to get this way (edgy) when I traveled a lot, especially in airport waiting areas...I'd walk in circles, count my steps, get the hairy eyeball from security. Big layovers made me anxious. So, to combat this I'm looking at this break as a fast of sorts.

I've fasted in real life before. The longest I've ever gone without real food (coffee and water were allowed) was eight days. You'd think after eight days you would tear into food like a jackal taking down a gazelle, but no. When I broke my fast I had a slice a bad pizza and fell asleep. This was an experiment way back when I lived in Maine and was slowly realizing a major navigational mistake life-wise. I remember there was four feet of snow on the ground.

Anyway, that's where I'm at today. Typing this in the library and my time is up.