BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

8/8/09

Bruce

One would think being from New Jersey the title of this post on my dopey Saturday afternoon writing break would be about the Boss. A gross assumption. I harbor distinct opinions about New Jersey music matters. Regretfully when you say you hail from the Garden State most people assume you listen to nothing but Springsteen. Phhhtttt, in a word, no. It's a shame really...musical juggernauts like The Misfits, The Smithereens, Howard Tate, and (dare I say it) Fountains of Wayne all get brushed aside for an artist that (God forgive me) should have perished in a plane crash, mmm, right after the Nebraska album. For me it's a love hate thing with the Jersey icon. I kind of listen every once in a while to Greetings From Asbury Park, D.O.T.E.O.T., and the Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. But it's rare. It's kind of like marmalade for me. Maybe once or twice a year on a rainy day and I'm totally fine with that. Whereas The Smithereens? Cue those guys up at the gym. One more thing. Give credit where credit is due. If Springsteen never hooked up with arrangement maestro Steve Van Zandt, I'm sorry, he would have disappeared into obscurity. Those early horns, those lead guitar hooks? Van Zandt, all the way.

Anyway, I'm talking about the other Bruce today. The "Chin" that walks the earth. Ash. BRUCE CAMPBELL. Go and test your fanboy worship for the big lug here. I scored 80%.