BIO

KIERAN SHEA’s fiction has appeared in dozens of venues including Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Dogmatika, Word Riot, Plots with Guns, Beat to a Pulp, Crimefactory, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir ...as well as in some beefy-looking anthologies most of which will make you question the tether of his shiny, red balloon. To his self-deprecating astonishment he's also been nominated for the Story South’s Million Writers Award twice without sending the judges so much as a thank you note. He co-edited the satiric transgressive fiction collection D*CKED: DARK FICTION INSPIRED BY DICK CHENEY and his debut novel KOKO TAKES A HOLIDAY is out now from Titan Books. Kieran divides his time between 38°58′22.6″N- 76°30′4.17″W and 39.2775° N, 74.5750° W.

6/11/09

NYC Thing to Do: Food, Film, Crime?

Saw that they're doing the NY Food and Film Festival again. Back when I was working as a chef full-time, I contracted to write a series of food articles for Taste of the Bay Magazine. One time... up against a deadline and completely blanking...I jammed out at article on food in the movies. Now looking back, half of the films I recommended had a seemy underbelly of crime laced through them. Go figure. Restaurants (it's no secret) are home to some pretty shady characters. Double dealings, vendor cheats, greasy kickbacks, gambling, drugs, casual violence...recently I tried to touch on this in my story Angel over on Tony Black's Pulp Pusher. But this crime/food connection is not a recent revelation for me. Way back when I was sixteen and weighing portions and slaughetering lobsters in a seafood restaurant, I actually had a conversation with a co-worker telling me he could arrange a beating for a guy who was giving me trouble. Talked about the foreign scallop boat fishermen who tore up the bars in Pt. Pleasant for a night or two and then split for sea, never to be heard from again. I think at the time the price was a hundred bucks, no questions asked--a lot of money for me back then. I passed.

Anyway, makes me hungry...now I just have to write a story about the two line cooks going after each other--one with a knife, the other with a crème brûlée torch. Or maybe the time when those two dingbats tried to steal the bar safe, broke some glasses and bled all over the dining room....or the time....


2009 NYC Food Film Festival Trailer from George Motz on Vimeo.